Where is Asbestos found?
The tiny fibres that make up asbestos were often added to other materials such as cloth, paper, plastic, building materials and other consumer goods to make them stronger and hardier. Asbestos comes in many different shapes and is not always easily identifiable.
These products include (amongst others):
- Boilers, steam pipes, furnace door gaskets and furnace ducts
- Asbestos cement and various construction materials
- Roofing, shingles and siding
- Floor tiles and vinyl sheet flooring
- Decorative wall features and textured paints
- Steel supports in buildings
- Air conditioning ducts
- Fireproof gloves, ironing board covers, stove top pads, hairdryers and heaters
- Brakes, gaskets and clutch pads